Friday, December 31, 2010

Just Wait Until You Get a Lode(stone) of This!

(Please do brightly sing the following to the same holiday tune, pictured above. A most perfect musical accompaniment can be found at the top of my sidebar. Thank you!)

The 'Holly and the Ivy'”:
Most Definitely Non~Traditional

The Bat Wing and the Climber,
When together they’re sown
Into a sack drawn by a string,
Then true romance will be honed!


O Christmas “petals” and green leaves
Mingled to make “one,"
Pledging luck in love: your heart’s desire!
Now real magic has begun!


Bat Wing is the sobriquet for holly leaves, the perfect pet tag for this plant of good fortune, doubly enhanced by it mirror-alikeness to the flying mammal’s wings, mustn’t you agreed?!

On a day taken from a big batch of them
in right front of Christmas, when

all halls had just been bedecked,
with Gemmama’s

(It being a scissor similar to this,
as a child, I would feed it nutty sesame seeds!)

tiny stork shearers in hand, I returned to the mantel’s holly bough to make snippets that would earn me two of its leaves. Spit~spot, I then made gentle sparges of a pair of winter “Bat Wings” and several pluckings taken and saved back from a summer’s ivy, into a heart-red and small dilly bag, sprinkling them like seeds being planted in a garden of new hope! Back-to-back, then, High John the Conquer root* togethered with a matched set of lodestones**, were plussed into the satin sack, after which I blew thoughtful kisses into it, before drawing its ribbon~string to tightness.

*High John the Conquer root is a completely benevolent botanical. Born of Morning Glory’s “feet,” it brings luck and good fortune to faithful believers~in.
** The lodestone is a naturally magnetic piece of the Earth's crust. Famous for drawing love to the wearer, it helps to remove any obstacles that would sidestep new romance.

Ever so quietly, huzzahs I soon merrily mouthed as, after only a two-day’s worth of wearing the lovely Bat Wing conjurer, Thomas (my grandmother’s mail carrier and the man I hush~hush and perpetually adore!) made gentle knocks upon the front door (to the beat of “Jingle Bells,” no less!) to politely be so bold as to ask if I might be able to assist him in purchasing a most special Christmas gift for his little niece.

Safe~keeping my grip, yet without hesitancy, my answer was “Yes!” (Very in point of fact and quite actually, I geysered a resounding “Yes! Yes! A thousand times YES!” ~~inside my happiest head, that is!) The next day’s afternoon, together Thomas and I (<~~How beautiful that “music” is to my ears!) located a delightfully fluffy, black kitten --who would later be dubbed Pollywog, only to be called Hollywog, because “It’s Christmas, Uncle Thomas, and so is she!”–- for him to present to an eight and a half-year old, soon-to-be-spounting-“You’re the best uncle ever!” Natalie. The "To Boot": Coming after his daily rounds next Tuesday evening, Thomas and I will have our very first official date together! Again, I say, Happy New Year!

Postscript:
I thought so certain I would not be posting until after the bells rang in 2011,
but with the possibility of me bursting, well, I had little, if any, choice! lol

Stork Scissors: Trocedero Antiques

8 comments:

  1. A most glorious celebration! The New Year is rushing in on Lil' Bat Wings of Love..... ♥
    I am so happy for you! :0)
    May 2011 bring many happy memories your way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for such a magical comment left on my blog.....Happy New Year!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was "Next Blogging" when, lo and behold, your page came up! I remembered you'd paid me a few visits here and there, so, heck, since I'm in the neighborhood, why not say "Hi!"? And Happy New Year, too! (And you tell that Thomas that he'd better be good to you or I'll beat him to a pulp! LOL! Just kidding! I'd probably sic Flying Monkeys on him, though.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooooh!!! so happy for you!!! Happy New Year :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good day, Jeanne, and I'm thinking: many more ahead, as the Tuesday's "date" has come and gone and it was wonderful and I am still reeling! I love this style of "tizzy" that I'm in! Thank you for your well wishes and Happy New Year, dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello and a bright and shiny New Year to you, Celia! Oh, and about that blog comment: the pleasure was mine!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Only you you would have me laughing at scary Flying Monkeys, Miss Farkle! Have a magical, wishes~come~true~for~you New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, burningmoonlight-jennifer! So glad you came by to pay visits!

    ReplyDelete